Saturday with Family

Jeff and his mom hit the road early this morning to take  the boys back to meet their mother. They left around 7:45, and then by 8:15, Emerson and I were up and ready to meet Grammy & Pepaw for breakfast! We went to one of my favorite local diners, Canopy Road Cafe. I couldn’t decide what to get (sweet or savory breakfast is one of the hardest choices ever), so the waitress suggested I order the regular breakfast plate, but sub toast for a fancy pancake, and that was the best idea. I got the special-of-the-month pineapple upside down pancake, and wowwee was that thing good. (Also, please don’t miss that precious little hand trying to sneak a bite of pancake in the picture below.)

After breakfast, we ran a few errands with Grammy and Pepaw, including a stop at one of my favorite thrift shops for books. With paperbacks only 50 cents, and hardbacks only $1, it’s really hard NOT to find things to take home. I did very good though, and only got two paperbacks, both of which are already on my (impossible-to-finish) TBR (which = to be read) list.

Emerson fell in love with this giant bear, and was very sad to leave it behind.

 We came home after running a few errands, so that Emerson could take a nap in her own crib. While she napped, I cleaned the living room, and washed about a thousand dishes. It’s incredible how many dishes a family of five produces, even when you don’t cook dinner at home for a few days! Holy smokes people.

Emmie woke up after about an hour and a half, and we met my parents, sister & brother-in-law for lunch at McAlister’s. Sadly, they were all out of “spuds,” which was really unfortunate, because probably all of us were planning to order a spud. Emerson didn’t seem to mind too much though, because she enjoyed the mac-n-cheese. Eventually, she decided she wanted to try doing it herself, and even though she was largely unsuccessful, it was hilarious, and of course super messy. When we finished eating, we went outside to hang out in their outdoor area, and Emmie got to draw with chalk for the first time. She seemed to enjoy it quite a bit.

We then all went shopping at TJ Maxx for a little while, and we all found good things. A new planner & candle for me, three new outfits for Emerson (1 from me, 2 from Grammy), and a shirt & socks for Bo. Then we hung out at my parents house, just playing with Emerson all afternoon! She took a short little nap in the pack & play, and then woke up ready for lots of snacks. She needed to get the puffs herself though, and so she dove on in, practically up to her armpit.

And of course on my way home from my parents house, I had to stop by my favorite Little Free Library to exchange a book. I’ve actually read this one before, but I don’t own it. I read the e-book from the library a few years ago, and it’s an incredible book. I’m glad I can add this one to my personal at-home library. Especially since Sue Monk Kidd is one of my favorite authors. (I.e. – Secret Life of Bees and The Mermaid Chair.)

Jeff and his mom brought us home Chick-fil-A for dinner, and that was delicious as always. Emerson needed to dip her fries in the sauce though (which again was messy and hilarious), but she was just covered in the stuff afterwards! She had a quick bath, sucked down her bottle, and was asleep within minutes. I sat down at the computer and rehearsed one of our church songs for tomorrow (Living Hope by Phil Wickham) a few times, working on my alto harmony parts. I think I’m ready now! Gonna go hang out with my hubby now, and enjoy some peace and quiet!

Leave a Reply

Scroll to Top