The Fever That Won’t Quit

We got jarred awake super early today at 3:30 a.m. with Emerson screaming & crying out of nowhere. When we got into her room, she was burning up, and her temp was 103°. We got her undressed and wiped down her head & face with a cool, damp cloth, and tried to calm her down. I got her redressed in a regular, cooler onesie, and rocked her for a while. But she did not want me to put her back down, so I ended up just holding her for the next few hours in the living room recliner. We both were in & out of sleep that whole time, until about 7 a.m.. Then we got up and she was very calm, but relatively “normal.” But since she had that high fever, that meant another day out of school, so we got breakfast ready and shared a bagel. She actually ate pretty well, so I was more than willing to share with her.

On a random note, it appears my parents are attempting for us to have our own barnyard full of farm animals. These are all from them recently.

Emmie ended up taking an early nap today, from about 9:30-11:30, with a few interruptions to fuss and flop around a few times, but she fell back asleep each time. I tried to nap for a while too, but couldn’t actually sleep. When she woke up, I made her a scrambled egg for lunch. It’s something she usually eats well, and I thought the protein would be good for her. But she would only eat about 3 bites and then was done.

My sweet Mama again took off work this afternoon, so she could come take care of Emmie and I could go to work. She came over around 12:45 p.m., and I was at work by 1:15. They played and read books for a while, but eventually Emerson fell asleep right on Grammy, which of course she didn’t mind one bit.

When she woke up from her nap, she was still kinda sleepy & tired, and her fever had crept back up to 101.5°. So she gave her some Tylenol. But another fever means no school again tomorrow : (

I came straight home after work, and was so glad to get sweet hugs from my baby girl. Mama hung around chatting with me for a while, then she headed out once I started getting our dinner ready. Emerson finally ate a good meal tonight, even if it wasn’t quite as much as she would eat if she felt completely fine, but more than she has been eating these last few days. Oh and also, before we eat we always say something along the lines of, “Ok let’s pray,” and she’s learned to clap her sweet little hands together!


We did bath time after dinner, but she was over it pretty quickly. Her fever was right around 99.5°, so we went ahead & gave her some milk, since it was pretty low. (We don’t give it to her when it’s over 100, because it upsets her tummy & she will vomit.) She drank it well, and seemed fine when she finished. I held her & rocked her for a little bit, then said her prayers and laid her down in her crib. She’s been asleep for about an hour now, and we’re praying hard she makes it through the night tonight, instead of waking up like last night.

Leave a Reply

Scroll to Top