Today is my 30th birthday! And it just doesn’t quite feel “right.” I mean, what?? How am I THIRTY?! I’m sure the math is off somewhere… But nope, 1988 through 2018 definitely = 30 years. So yep, it’s official. I’m in my thirties now. And it just feels weird.
Does being thirty make me a “real adult?” Do any of you fellow thirty-somethings still feel like older adults are the “real adults” and we’re still somewhere in between? When I was 15 years old, 30 sounded very grown up and mature. And even at 20 & 25, I think I was expecting to feel a little different as a 30-year-old than I actually do. I know I’m rambling, and this probably doesn’t make sense, but hey, it’s my party & I’ll
cry, no wait ramble if I want to!
We kicked of celebrating my 30th birthday a little early, starting with lunch at Masa last Friday with friends from work. Their “express lunch platter” for $10 is super yummy, and a great deal!
Saturday during the day, Emerson had two long naps in her crib, which is a huge deal for her. And during her naps we were able to get ALL the chores done, and the house is so neat and tidy now. Makes my OCD/Type-A self feel better. Saturday night we had gigantic, delicious steaks for dinner at Jeff’s parents’ house. My MIL and I sat in the floor playing with Emerson, and she was just laughing so much! She was rolling all over the place, and loving her toys, and just having fun. It was adorable, and we were dying laughing at her, laughing so much!
Then Sunday night, Jeff and I went out to dinner (just the two of us, since my parents kept Emerson for us) at one of our all-time favorites,Harry’s. That “French Market Pasta” (shrimp, chicken, bacon, spinach, tomatoes, & I added mushrooms) was sooo good. It was huge though, so I ate half, and took half home, so I could save a little room for those amazing Oreo beignets! Yum! And tonight we’re planning to have dinner with my family, at my parents house!
Back in my silly blogging days, I wrote a “30 Before 30”list. I went back and read it a few days ago, and man did I fail that big time. Technically, I didn’t even finish half of that list. But it’s OK, I’m not stressed about it. Those goals reflected things I *thought* I wanted to do at the time. But mostly I think I made those goals just because it was “cool blog post” back then. So I’m totally fine with not having more of those things crossed off, but I am still proud/happy for the ones that are crossed off.
If I were to make a new list of goals and dreams for my thirties, it would look both completely different, and also slightly similar, at the same time. Here are ten things I’d like to do during the upcoming decade as a thirty-something…
- Refinish/Paint my kitchen cabinets.
- Actually finish unpacking the house we’ve lived in since August 2016. Although it’s embarrassing to admit, we still have boxes shoved in corners around the house, so this one is high priority…
- Welcome another baby! Like, mid-thirties though, no rush on this one ; )
- Read 400 books in the next 10 years. (I know it sounds like a lot, but y’all,I read a lot! Even with a brand new baby, I still read 47 books in 2017. Prior to baby, I read about 75 a year!)
- Get a second doggie, so Pretzel has a little friend. (I’ll always love & miss my Primrose though!)
- Continue working on our house – decorating, updating, keeping things cozy. Maybe even paint all the exterior brick?!
- Continue exploring Tallahassee (and surrounding areas) and trying new places, restaurants & events.
- Take a 5-year anniversary cruise in October 2018!
- And I also want to go on a 10-year anniversary trip in 2023. Maybe we’ll get crazy & go on my dream trip to Italy!? (Although yeah right, probably not. But a girl can certainly dream, right!?)
- Continue blogging. It doesn’t have to be an all-the-time-thing, but I want to keep writing down these precious memories as we go.
Those are the big things I guess. But of course there are still other, super important things like spending time with my family, being involved with our church, continue building quality friendships (it’s hard as an adult, with a baby!), and just being the best Mommy I can be!
Speaking of, let’s just end things with a cute photo of me & my baby girl from yesterday. Here’s to the next 30 years!!